Saturday, May 29, 2010

London At Last

The Flight MH 002 briefly stopped at Charles De Gaulle Airport to refuel and a change of flight attendants. Then it resumed the journey and landed at Heathrow Airport at 7.30 am (London Time). I did not feel the cold until I left the airport to assemble with the others at the entrance where a coach was supposed to pick us up. It was a freezing autumn morning.

While waiting at the entrance, I wondered why in the first place I had to come to face the fierce cold whereas I could be cozy and warm back home. I was dazed, confused and sad as to leave my happy family and friends. At the same time I felt a sense of achievement at being able to come here to join the course.

After waiting for more than an hour with no place to sit and to bear the cold, the coach or bus finally arrived. It was a relief. As a man, I helped the ladies and the others to load the heavy luggage onto the bus. The driver was really helpful. In fact as I later found out, it was part of their culture to do so.

We were driven to a B & B (Bed and Breakfast) called Morgan House which is about a 15-minute walk to the MSD (Malaysian Students’ Department in London). The same tedious task of unloading the luggage was carried out again. This time we had to help them to haul them up to the first and second floor of the B & B, winding up a narrow staircase.

I was really exhausted and I was sweating after those two rounds. Breakfast was not in my mind then as I did not have the time at all. Immediately, we were asked to walk to the MSD to attend a briefing. We managed to find the place after asking around. We met the others who were bound for Manchester and Birmingham. Together we sat and listened to speeches and advice given by several officials. The briefing was supposed to proceed until 2 pm but we protested due to our hunger. They allowed a half hour break for lunch which we had at a restaurant at the MSD serving Malaysian food. The meal or brunch (breakfast cum lunch) was badly needed as I was really hungry. I tried converting the cost of that meal to Malaysian currency. It cost nearly 5 ringgit; oh goodness. The second part of the briefing lasted another hour with various forms given out and with we were constantly bombarded with reminders and advice.

After that I left with the others for the B & B and had a badly needed shower to wake up after the boring session at the MSD. After that we wandered around the places nearby and we managed to visit Piccadilly Circus, Hyde Park, Trafalgar Square and various shopping centres. From Hyde Park, we joined a guided tour at £8 per person. It was a terrific tour around London and I shall never forget the cold wind that blew at us making all of us shiver are regretted sitting on the upper deck of the bus. The tour lasted one and a half hours and ended at Hyde Park again. It was already 6.30 pm and it was already dark. We made our way around and managed to get a quick dinner at the MSD again. After that we went back to the B&B and rested. That night we all had a good rest.

The next morning after the breakfast provided we packed and left the luggage there. Then we wandered around the neighbourhood but most of the shops were closed as it was a Sunday. At 10.00 am we loaded the entire luggage onto the bus which took us to Heathrow Airport again because we had to take a connecting flight to Edinburgh at 2.00 pm.

No comments: