Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Leaving Malaysia (September 1993)

On 3rd September 1993, the twenty of us who were bound for Moray House gathered at Subang Airport. We checked in at 9.00 pm and had our luggage and baggage checked.

There was the usual scene at airports; either in films or movies. People were everywhere and I had to bump and avoid others every step I took. I was busy helping to collect passports from the others to be checked.

As for me, I left my family in Ipoh. I said my goodbyes to my family; wife and three kids and parents and also my siblings. I knew very well that my wife would not be able to accept my departure at the airport. It would be too emotional. Furthermore I had to attend a briefing in the morning. So I had to be in K.L. the night before.

Back to the scene at the Subang Airport. My colleagues to Moray House had many family members and relatives to send them off. They were busy chatting, hugging, holding hands, whispering and laughing. Photographs were taken at every possible opportunity. I could see sad faces especially on couples so attached. Children were rather unsure of what was happening as they would just think that their parents were just going on a short holiday.

I could distinctly hear constant reminders to take care, eat good food, and writing back to Malaysia. Although I could see all these, I could not feel the same way because I had already switched off all these emotional scenes. I had already accepted this departure as something that cannot be avoided. There was no point in making such a scene since it was of no use.

I am one of those people with a strong will and very determine when it come to doing something. You may say that it is being stubborn but it has its advantages. Anyway I made a call to my wife prior to boarding to say that everything was fine and to advise her to take care and to take thing easy. It was not as emotional as what I saw at the airport,

I boarded the MAS plane at 11.30 pm with the others. It would be a 12 hour non-stop flight to London Heathrow Airport. It was also my second time on a plane. The first was from Ipoh to K..L. the previous day.

I was put into business class like most of the others. Service was superb. The take off was smooth and powerful. The air stewardess and stewards were very polite and efficient. Everything was carried out with the best politeness and manners. They were kept on their feet all the time serving food, drinks and various other demands. At the touch of a button, they would be at our side to answer our needs.

On top of that, movies were screened and we had individual TV and I played games. There were individual headphones and game controls too for the purpose.

No comments: