Sunday, May 23, 2010

Life at IYC, Kuala Lumpur

Life at IYC was eventful and I had plenty of memories. There were 160 teachers staying there and I was placed in Room 328 with a bunch of crazy people. They were really crazy but it was fun with the laughter and jokes. There was never a moment of sadness. Some were smokers, jokers, noisy ones, and some slept at odd hours for example at 2 am, or even at 4 am.

The two months were indeed hectic for me as I was a replacement. I had to settle one matter every weekend; the passport, the medical examination, the letter of release from the school, and matters at the State Education Department.

On weekdays, I had to attend mass lectures, talks, briefings and classes. Some were quite boring though but some were of interest especially those about life in the U.K., on social etiquettes, and allowances.

In the afternoon, there were occasional classes but on days when there was nothing on, I would pop in at the swimming complex next to IYC and spend about an hour swimming in the pool. I managed to encourage two others; Zulkarnain and Tengku to join me. They had no experience and were first timers at swimming but they were eager to learn swimming. They bought goggles and swimming trunks and joined me each time I went to the pool. After a few lessons the two guys managed to swim quite well on their own.

Later many others joined me when I went swimming. Before that they had no one to follow. After seeing me going there so often, they followed me there. I guess I could proudly say that I had some influence as a leader. I would use this ability in later years to convince others in doing task.

Room 328 at IYC was indeed special. There were two Chinese guys (Leong and I), two Indians (Govinda and Ganesh), and the others were Malays. All of us had very different characteristics.

There were two ‘bears’ because they would sleep a lot especially in the afternoon or mornings. They would make a lot of noise and go out every night. They were Fauzi and Mohd Izham. Then there is another baby ‘bear’. He was small but he had the same characteristics and the other two ‘bears’.

Govinda was from Batu Gajah which is my own hometown. He was also my senior at the same secondary school; Sultan Yussof Secondary School. Here we were able to meet again.

The twelve of us in the room had a special understanding and relationship. Each tolerated and respected the other about religion, habits and customs.

There were others too; of whom I met at the interview in Penang. They were Lee Kean Wah and Kyla from Ipoh

The others who got to know my jovial character later towards the end of the course regretted because they did not have the chance to get together and joke and share the happy times at IYC.

No comments: