Friday, March 7, 2008

Hectic and confused

The phone call was on Tuesday and I had to report the following Monday to join the course in KL.

So with three days, I had to update the Physical Education stock and manage the store. On top of that I had to clear all the exercise books. I was teaching PE and English then.

During the three days, I was totally in a daze running around from all those tasks and controlling the emotions of the pupils. Every now and then some pupils would come with sad and teary eyes begging me not to leave. I was really exhausted.

After school, I had to manage another burden, the family. Your mum was really down and sad. I knew that in another two months time, I would be leaving for another country to study; that is UK. The questions were numerous; how to manage your sisters and you, where are they going to study, and how about after school?

In addition, she (your mum) had to drive to school. All this while, we had only one car, the faithful Daihatsu. She would always go with another colleague and I would pick her up after school. Now she would have to drive to school. Can she manage it?

In school, all the tasks were completed by Friday and I was really glad then.

In the classes, there was no mood and no interest in the lesson. Most of the time I was trying to calm the kids and telling them to be brave and work hard.

Friday evening came and there was a special assembly just before school was over. All the pupils (1500 of them) were assembled in the school hall with the teachers on the stage. It was actually the farewell for me and two other teachers who were going to join the Teachers' Training Colleges. The headmaster gave his speech and the pupils waited. The two lady teachers were called to give a short speech. All was in control

I was finally called to deliver a speech. I was choked with emotion but I tried. I started of with a few words and advised the pupils to work hard but I could not go on. The reason was simple; the classes I was teaching then started sobbing and crying their hearts out. This spread like wild fire and soon all the kids were rubbing their eyes and sobbing; some quietly but some outwardly. The most surprising thing was, even the boys who were rough and who were frequently punished were sobbing away.

That was it. I could not stand it. I cried and my heart broke. The other teachers beside me asked me how I could have touched their hearts to that extend. I could not answer because I was confused.

The headmaster ended the assembly with a few word I could not remember anymore. I also noticed that the parents and the school bus drivers were at the doors of the hall. I bet they must have been confused as to why such a commotion was about.

To be continued. Keep reading.

No comments: