Friday, July 29, 2011

SNOW! SNOW! SNOW!

Steady, I shall use my kungfu...
Building a snowman
Our cute snowman
SNOW! SNOW! SNOW!
The first term was quickly over. The weather was turning colder. We expected snow to fall early but I did not expect it to fall in November. I vividly remember the night of November 20th. I woke up at about 2.00 am because I had the urge to go to the toilet. At that time, my room was no. 127. I saw something queer as I looked through the window. There was something floating down slowly towards the ground. It was a beautiful sight. Rain? No! I immediately realized that it was snow. The pale yellow light form the street lamps added to the already beautiful sight. I was so happy because I finally got the chance to see snow which I wanted so badly to see since I was here.
Being unable to control my excitement, I ran to the first floor of the halls. I woke up Augustine (Jayan) and told him about the snow. As we came out of the room to the corridor, we saw Gilbert and Ganesh already at the window. We peered out of the window and exclaimed at the wonderful sight. It was like a heavenly shower of rain except that it floated down slowly. Ganesh who was too happy put on his jacket, shoes and gloves and went out onto the field. He danced, ran about and drew patterns on the road which by then was quite covered with snow.
We, the three of us made a lot of noise. I hoped that the other students were not annoyed by our commotion. The roof of the halls and the trees were already white with the snow. The scene was typical of what I saw on TV programmes and in the postcards back home. And now I had the chance to see the real thing; it was indeed a wonderful experience.
The next morning, Sunday 21st November 1993, after breakfast, we (the Malaysians, Africans and other foreign students) were on the field. We walked, threaded, and kicked the snow on the field and on the road. It was a thin layer but it was our first experience with snow. Suddenly, someone started scooping up snow and throwing snow balls at me. I could remember that it was Jens Handest, a German student who stayed in Room 128. At once we started a snow ball throwing session. It was painful when hit by a ball of snow. The local students looked and smiled at the fun we had. I could picture all the scenes and stories I have read prior to coming here.
After some time we stopped and went to the car booth sales. I wanted to show Jens where it was.

No comments: