Thursday, July 14, 2011

THE CAR BOOT SALES IN EDINBURGH


Apart from all the assignments, lectures, reading and workshops, I still could find time to relax and do my usual visits and shopping.
The one memorable and interesting thing I have seen, witnessed and gone to several times is the talk among the Malaysian students and probably the others too. I mean the car boot sales; or CBS. These are usually held at specific places like a car park. There are several of these in and around Edinburgh.
I could still remember the first one that I went to. It was early one Sunday morning during September. I and several others; in fact the twenty of us boarded a bus and went to an open air car park called Morrison Car Park in Haymarket.
It was early; probably at 9.30 am when we reached the spot after asking around. It was a sight to remember. There were about 10 cars all lined up with things arranged beside them. The Malaysian contingent gave the locals an eye opener. Well, we wandered around from one car to another or rather from one lot to another looking at the goods on displayed. There were clothes for men, women, and children. There were coats, jackets, pants, dresses and others. There were also furniture, lamps, electrical items like kettles, toasters, electrical clocks, radios, TVs, antiques, shoes, bags, books and all sorts of things that the locals wanted to get rid of.
Some were in very good condition but some were rather old and in dire need of repair. Our Malaysian contingent bought bags full of clothes as they needed them for winter. They bought clothes of all kinds, shoes and others.
As for me, I wandered around, touching and examining various articles. I finally settles for an old antique camera; a Kodak that was made in England and which uses a no. 126 film. It is unique in the sense that Kodak is now produced in Australia. It shall be a reminder of my first visit to a car boot sale.
Later as we found out that there were not much to offer, we walked and wandered along Princess Street. It was crowded with people walking along the street or rather the wide pavement. They were just enjoying the walk along the street.

No comments: