Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Walking on Snow

From that day onwards, snow fell regularly and I had to walk to college in the snow. There were patches of snow here and there but in the city centre, there was none, probably due to the heat from the buildings and the vehicles.

The fields along the road to college was covered with a thin layer. The bushes were also covered too. From my observation, the layer of snow was thicker in the outskirts of the city. The field at the halls of residence was frequently covered with a thin layer of snow.

Each morning the pavements were covered with a thin layer of grit or sand so that the pedestrians would not slip while walking to and fro. The workers would sprinkle grit or sand early in the morning. The sand provided grip or friction when walking on the pavements.

If there was no snow, there would be frost; a thin layer of solid ice which was hard and slippery. I had to be very careful while walking on the pavements. It was fine on level ground and uphill paths but was very risky and dangerous while going downhill or on slopes.

I could still remember once when I nearly slipped while going downhill at the slopes alone the Pleasance near college. Luckily the pair of boots; Dr. Martens was new and provided me some grip. From that day onwards I avoided the pavements when there was snow or frost. I walked on the road which was rougher.

No comments: